Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 3 September 2008

Been cleaning the loft...

That is an untruth, been moving things from one part of the loft to another part of the loft, that's a better description of my activity.
Anyway, some prep in anticipation of the first rehearsal of the season.
This description of the status quo by David Andrew at the CMAA boards caught my attention:
How many DM's come into a new job, and parousing the choir library find drawer after drawer of GIA or OCP "octavos" that are really nothing more than fancied up versions of "Here I Am, Lord" or "Join in the Dance"? Perhaps if there was a savvy, well-educated DM in the past history of the choir, one might find a stray copy of Palestrina's Sicut cervus, but it's likely to be moldy, dusty, stained where the staples have rusted.

How much room in the most convenient file drawers supposedly for my use, was taken up with many-, (I might say excessively-) paged octavos that are no improvement whatsoever over the bad choral arrangements we already have in Gather?
I have moved some of them into a box to sit in a dusty corner, (I will not throw them out as was done with the little green kyriales and St Gregory hymnals, according to choir members.)

No comments: