Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Thursday 4 September 2008

It's good to remember that not everyone adores me...

... despite the gushing in some quarters from this summer's rehearsals.
As the first choir rehearsal of the year approaches, I find that while I am over any anger I may have felt that choir members took their objections to my programming to the pastor, (objections, incidentally, which I had already answered frankly and openly at rehearsals,) but I am NOT over my interest in it. (I was never what you might describe as "hurt" because that would have required greater respect for the opinions of those who differed with me.)
I can't share with Himself on any of this, because if I am slightly miffed with someone, out of loyalty to me he hates them...
(And also because in my quest. my war to Arrange the Choir in Seats In a Way That Makes Sense, [WHAT is the fixation with stringing out those on the same voice part in a line, for the love of mike, so that at best you can hear the two people next to you? I had to fight it with the Festival chorus, and I have to fight it with the church choir.] he is a Quisling. ;oP)
Frankly, I don't really care that some disagree with me, but I do wish that those who do would at least acknowledge that my programming choices take into consideration a great many factors, and that ultimately they are predicated not on what I LIKE, but on what I think is right.
Of course, it is a free country, they are welcome to go to him with their complaints.
And he is welcome to fire me.
I think I will wait until next week's rehearsal to address this, however...

4 comments:

Mr. C said...

Dear Scelata,
Are you familiar with Weston Noble's voice matching process? It's a very cool and seemingly democratic process that you can guide that determines vocal (and other) compatabilities for optimal seating.
C

Anonymous said...

I know a bit about it -- but it does not take into account "I've been sitting here since before you were born,", "I need to be in the front row because my new hip prevents me from standing for long periods," "I can't stand the smell of her hair spray," "my prostate impels me to sit in the chair nearest the door," and the worst pitfall I've so far encountered, my ignorance that that soprano's father left her mother for a brief fling with that alto's sister who used to be married to the last choir director.
Byzantine, I tell ya, byzantine...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)

Gavin said...

Charles: Could you provide some more information on that for me? It sounds interesting.

Mr. C said...

Sure, Gavin, give me a couple of days maybe. My, you are young!