Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 7 July 2009

A Prayer for Priests

Don't get me wrong, I am overjoyed...okay, joyed that the is The Year of the Priest, I am happy to pray for priests, I am eager to pray for vocations for more priests, and very grateful for the priests we have. (Yes -- ALL of them, and believe me I have encountered quite a range of them over the past three weeks, from cardinal to newly ordained, from punctilious to careless, from grim to giddy, from paragon to whaaaa?)
But we, as is our wont, have come up with a long-term substitute collect, an additional oration, or something, which means we now being led at every Mass in a prayer that goes something like, "Heavenly Father, we thank You for the gift of our priests..." BY a priest.
It just strikes me as a tudge unseemly.
I mean, I think you're God's gift, but even if you have a similarly high opinion of yourself, ought you to be saying so?
It could have been so easily fixed, "we thank you for the gift of the priesthood."

Maybe it's just me...

No comments: