Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Saturday 2 August 2008

Cheesehowdy

I love words, but I am extremely lazy and as a kid, rather than lug out the ol' unabridged, I would just invent plausible (only to me!) definitions sometimes.
As a child, for instance, I figured "Pentecost" was short for "Repent at any cost."
Similarly, when I first learned that Eastern Catholics had something called "Cheesefare" Sunday, I assumed it was like Carni-vale, (which I accurately knew meant "so long, meat,") and I decided that kewl word must mean "CHEESE,FAREwell."
Fasting is a worthy spiritual practice, but so are more active penances.
For instance, I have submitted myself to a musical mortification, tomorrow is "Cheesehowdy" Sunday.
Actually, I have an entire month of Velveeta in store.
Just call me Marshall Fields -- give the lady what she wants...
See also, Cheeze in Church

No comments: