Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 5 August 2008

That sinking feeling....

Mary Jane, the musician I wish I were, has a post that will, I'm sure resonate with almost everyone "in charge" of any music program.

How to Avoid Sinking

I came across this comment recently while searching for a solution to a problem with one of my singers:
I would say that the greatest help I have had in choir directinghas come from singing in better choirs; it stops you sinking to the averagelevel of the choir you are directing, keeps you fresh and keeps in sight thegoals that they should be striving for.
And that struck me as a great truth. Often, when struggling with new groups and/or weak singers, I become allergic even to listening to great choral music. It's too much of a slap in the face and I'm afraid I will resent my ensemble. Or become fatally discouraged. And my own skills do deteriorate – rapidly.


But, never one to leave her readers despairing, she presents a remedy!

attend next year's CMAA Colloquium at Loyola Chicago.

No comments: