Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 6 August 2008

Is it my winning smile?

I have always thought I was a pretty obviously censorious person.
I mean, I wasn't born sneering like Pooh-bah, but even as a small child I would arch an eyebrow ironically at almost anything I heard, and as a teenager, all of whom admittedly roll their eyes, my eye-rolling deserved to get my face slapped sideways.
I don't think my face conveys interest or approval or even neutrality as a matter of course, so why, of late, are people who have no possible cause to think I would automatically agree with them coming up to me and telling me the most out-there things?
A man I had never met before, engaged me in conversation, went on a harangue, in confidential tones, about the "lavender mafia" who have "destroyed" the music ministry of his entire diocese (not my own,) and named names.
This was not in any kind of church setting.
Weird.
But this has happened with politics, highly contentious matters of performing arts, you name it -- some vibe I am giving off says "come up and chew my ear off about your personal obsession, I'll affirm you in your fervor!"

No comments: