Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Thursday 7 August 2008

The Shower Head Principle

I don't want people to think I'm all gloom and doom... there have been tiny successes in my life lately.
I found, in the never-ending cleaning of the loft a falling to shreds old paper-bound hymnal printed by McLaughlin and Reilly, the Catholic Chapel Hymnal? IIRC, and I finally know why my parish sings the odd variation it does on the Stabat Mater, and sings the refrain to the Lourdes hymn in the French manner, that is, with the accent on the "ve" of "a-VE" (I had thought it was because of a French Canadian nun in the school.
Also, I found in a thrift store a beautiful old leather check register for .75, which is the PERFECT loose-leaf notebook for 11 X 14 organ music photocopies and odd, separated-from-their-binding pages. So, all I have to do is punch 7 holes in everything $!!#>$%?! No, honestly, I am thrilled. I'd been looking for a reasonable ring binder for a long time (they are available through office supply places, but for way more than i can afford, or would be willing to, even if money were not an issue, spend.)
So I am happy. Ish. Happy-ish.
The Shower Head Principle of Luxury and Happiness. You might think you want, say, a boat that costs thousands and thousands of dollars, and using that boat would make you happy, every once in a while.
But a small luxury, such as the very best shower head in the world would cost only a fraction of that, and you would use it every single day, and thus ultimately, will bring you more pleasure.

No comments: