Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Thursday 25 June 2009

I was wrong....

...when I predicted that I was done with overt displays of emotion.

During the postlude, Lass dich nur nichts nicht dauren by Brahms, (which has two measures at about the bar 34 point that I believe prefigure what I will hear when I die, if I have led my life in such a manner as to be allowed to hear the angelic choirs, so exquisite are the chords therein,) something reminded me of the composer's Nanie, which I was fortunate enough to sing in a choir when I was 14.
There were to be two performances but my Father died suddenly between the two, and certain choral harmonies will forever have the power to transport me to a very specific time and place, some very specific memories and emotions, a very specific Scelata. (Probably a nicer one.... although marriage to Himself has mellowed me.)

One of the best aspects of this week has been the variety of forms -- it is instructive for those of us who don't usually have the opportunity to experience them in close succession, to compare them.

Today's was a Solemn High Mass, EF, yesterday was OF in Latin (incidentally, that may be the only time I've ever been in the same room with a pallium,), we had an OF in English.... very good, very good.

No comments: