Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 14 December 2009

A Hymn for a Soul Who's Probably Headed to Purgatory

It is, as they say, the "dying season".
Lots of funerals of late, and all with very specific, (and sometimes odd,) musical requests, (shall I put a brandy snifter on the console....?)
Also, lots of non-authorized, (non-canonical?) canonizations,if you know what I mean.

A friend mentioned that this bothered him, that he hates that people act as if there's no need ever to pray for the souls of the departed who might be in need of Purgatory -- but gee whiz, he just loves "For All the Saints," and really would like to be carried out of the church to its strains.

So I wrote an alternative final verse to be sung to SINE NOMINE, (it needs to be sung before death, unless I fix the tenses, I suppose.)

Anyway, this is for you, Gregory:
Remember Christ's my Judge, not just my Friend.
I've faith in the 4 last things, whate'er the trend.
So I'd ask your prayers, when earthly life shall end;
Alleluia, alleluia!

No comments: