Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 17 July 2007

Vatican Library

When I was a child, my dream was to live in a library.
I have achieved this to a large extent .
I have the books, the documents --- the shelves and organization not so much...

So, the BBC reports on grumbling by users of the Vatican libraries who will lose access while an enormous and apparently necessary renovation is accomplished.
I feel for the temporarily displaced scholars, but it is the nature of old buildings to need restoration, and it is the nature of vast buildings to discomfit large numbers of people when such restoration occurs, and it is the nature of magnificent building to not be able to accommodate temporary, make-shift solutions during such restoration.

Hmmm... I don't think our half-thought-out plan to get to Roma would be liable to be realized much before 2010.

Wouldn't it be fantastic? -- I wonder if nobodies can gain access.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6901606.stm

p.s. I am a SUCKER for any place that had the foresight and integrity to hang onto their card catalogues.

No comments: