Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Sunday 1 July 2007

Weekend Masses, 13th Ordinary & Option 4

I had asked ahead of time if we were going to transfer the Feast of the Most Precious Blood to the weekend (which I think is permissible for a CPPS parish.)
Was told not the readings, but perhaps the collect, preface, etc. to go ahead and change the psalm (the only time I ever program a psalm other than that from the Lectionary for the day in question,) and of course, the Precious Blood "Fight Song."
(A thought -- I'm trying to be a little more sensitive -- is that offensive? I've heard it from more than one CPPS member, fairly wide range of ages, so I'll assume not. It certainly is a ... robust tune.)
So anyway, we opened with Glory Be to Jesus (only two verses of course, that is not going to change any time soon, I imagine...) and yes, did Option 4 all the way.

Now understand, I don't want to deprive the faithful of hymns.
I may be a bit defensive of that stance as it came in for a bit of criticism this past week, much of it deserved.
of COURSE Option Four should not be the norm, the default, or more accurately, the UNIVERSAL practice.
We need to get back to the Propers.
We need at least to educate people that they even exist, (and I don't mean PIP, I mean PIA, many of whom are no less ignorant than the average John and Mary Q. Catholic, the ones who Bishop Trautman thinks will have trouble with "sully" and "thwart.")
And we need to use them.
That doesn't mean there isn't room for an occasional, even regular "low" Mass with everybody's favorite hymns.
But the "big" Mass, the "special" Mass, the Christmas Midnight/3rd Mass of All Saints/parish feast day/Bishop coming for confirmation/ etc., need to be solemn.
And they need to use the Propers.

Or at very, very, very least, a fine poetic rendering of the Proper set to a metric tune.

And no, let me repeat, NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO putative "Ordinary" that in any way fails to conform to the Missal or a valid option therein.

That goes for all Masses, not just the "big" ones, but that's a different topic, back to hymns.

Noodled a bit on on Glory Be and the Gregorian Ave Verum as prelude.
Procession, GBTJ, that's a given for us in July.
Take Up Thy Cross is well sung hereabouts, and seemed a good fit with the readings about vocation, being called and acceptance of the call. I actually think the tune O WALY WALY is dreary for that text, (you know I love it, generally,) but that's what we have and personal preference is not what it's about.
I did have the psalmist/songleader announce it "late," improvised, (was that Freudian, that I first typed "impoverished"?) on Morning Glory (can't think of tune name, off hand,) for a while.
Beginning the Offertory hymn right after the General Intercessions often leaves us short at the actual procession and presentation. Music, which is meant to solemnize and highlight moments, ends up solemnizing and highlighting the Ceremonial Gathering of the Lucre, and giving the more important points short shrift, far too often. Worked out with surprising precision.
At That First Eucharist (UNDA ET MEMORES) seemed like the hymn in the parish rep that meshed the most closely with the Communion Proper, and its emphasis on both the Body of Christ and the love for our fellows that it demands of us. Filled in with some Handel.
As it is a weekend going into a national holiday, and the recessional is NOT part of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, I had no qualms (despite such a practice being generally frowned upon by my colleagues in music,) with programming America the Beautiful. Its words, particularly the 2nd verse, are not glorification of the Fatherland, but genuine prayer to the Father, and a plea that we as a people become better. I think it it no way unsuitable.
It led into a voluntary on Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory.
Ordinary as before, Gregorian Kyrie, Andrew Gloria, Danish Amen Gospel Acclamation and Eucharistic Acclamations and Vermulst "Peoples" Agnus Dei.
Everything, EVERYTHING was thundered out, even at the 7:00 am Mass, so I don't think I'll get scolded. (Although Himself said one note, a single note in my pre-Mass noodling, hurt his head. Huh? Not the whole rank? not a chord? one held note? Ah, well....)

Anyway, for the time being, not doing Option Four is... not an option.

No comments: