Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 6 August 2007

GIA Choral Reading Session

Interesting experience, glad I went, might go again.
Not as much cheeze as I feared, but FAAAAAAAAAR less liturgical music than I might have expected, or at least hoped.
Liked Robert Batastini (sp?) Pretty church but what is with all the carpetting??!?@?#??!?? Do they really not care about the music?
At least 3 pieces I will consider purchasing (one, an elegant and evocative setting of O Vos Omnes I would certainly purchase had we not just added that excellent De Profundis to our repertoire last year.... and I may, still, at that.)
Himself was a pip.

But it's as if no one had ever read any of the authoritative documents about liturgical music -- and of course, nothing of the more recent thought of, oh, yer John Pauls, yer Bennys, etc.... no propers, very little that took its cues on style and sensibility from the liturgical music par excellence. (You remember, doncha? Cantilena Romana? Gregorian chant? And Ambrosian, Mozarabic and Slavonic, for that matter.... )

Nice stuff created in a tradition/music vacuum.

No comments: