Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 13 August 2007

I was just blessed by hearing quite a funeral sermon.
Himself called to let me know that the funeral at the Byzantine Rite parish was going to be a large one, much clergy, multiple cantors, etc., so (mea culpa,) as a liturgical tourist I went.

(Fully expecting to participate fully, and receive the Body and Precious Blood, mind you, but since the Divine Liturgy was longer than expected and I had an appointment, despite my paltry if sincere prayers for the deceased, I was, as I said, a sight-seer.)
Indeed, splendid solemnity, full-throated chanting, glorious vestments, serious incensage, all that...

BUT THE HOMILY!

I am perhaps too familiar to give our guys their due, having heard the same funeral sermons uncounted times, (and having not heard them even more often, what with the sound system, and the fans and our priests penchant, of which I highly approve, for speaking acoustically and intimately with the family when it is a small funeral,) but other than Msgr. S's temerity in preaching on purgatory, and the necessity of praying for the dead, (which is the homily I wish to have preached at my funeral,) this was my favorite ever, and very probably the finest.

He began by pointing out what a blessing God had given us all in causing the departed's funeral to fall when it did, as we were wrapping up the octave of the Transfiguration -- he used to Iconostasis to illustrate -- the first sighting vouchsafed to mortals of a glorified body, that glorified body that is our future, that it is promised we shall one day possess.Then he spoke of the Holy Day we were fast approaching, the Assumption/Dormition, (again, a beautiful icon,) and how Mary, we believe, already, from that day, enjoyed what we shall one day enjoy, when our souls are re-united with a now glorified body.
And how that was the Truth.
And how that (the body in the open coffin,) was a lie.
That of course it was sad, because it was a lie, it was obscene, that our bodies were never meant to be separated from our souls, that death only happened, only had happened because of sin, because of the fall.
But that we have the sure and certain hope of immortality, of our souls and bodies, our glorified bodies being finally and indissolubly joined.

And of course he talked of the deceased, whom I do not know, but much else, too many riches to recall them all

Well, it gave me the kind of joy that the sight of a large group of good young men at St John Cantius did, that the wonderful old men at Cathagena did, that my pastor's hearing my confession does (he's an excellent confessor,) that listening to Fr Weber did.... it is reassuring, it is as the rainbow to the flood, the sign of a promise, that the Church is built upon a Rock, and however dire the problems may seem, the gates of hell shall not prevail, there will be holy men to do the work that only they can do, God will send us good priests.

Enough's a feast, as they say in Himself's favourite movie....

No comments: