Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 29 August 2007

Withdrawing

I'm in an odd place.
With certain family issues, the possibility of relocating earlier that Himself and I had envisioned has reared its head. We had already been divesting of possessions, (he, much more assiduously than I,) or at least considering and acknowledging the necessity, and discussing it.
Because of minor but necessary repairs whose needs had suddenly made themselves known we were taking bids on somewhat more major renovation, also something that would need to be done in advance of a sale to prepare for the move.
And now, for various reasons, I am finding the impetus to withdraw from entanglements and activities emotionally, which will make withdrawing from them in fact all more easy.
Should casting go as I expect, this will be a good show to go out on.
The summer music has been successful, (I suppose, on balance,) but deeply unsatisfying. The MM is unpleasant and inefficient to work with, unprepared, irresponsible and egocentric. He obviously finds our very existence a nuisance, does not really want to devote any time or effort to us and will not provide others with the tools they need to put the time and effort into it in a timely fashion.
I understand that he would prefer, perhaps even is used to a higher level of competence, but it is what it is. He knows it and knows that things need a longer lead time than might be convenient.
Last week, I sat out the number he had waited until the last minute to apprise me of the key changes and cuts of. Why should I make an ass of myself trying to transpose into G flat? His reply to my ( I thought perfectly bland, and certainly civil,) third request, received a reply telling me not to be "catty."
I was going to show the exchange to the producer, among others, but decided it was not worth the bother. It benefits no one to stir up trouble, and I don't need to justify myself.
I can truthfully say that I have not the the time nor the energy for further collaboration and will leave it at that.
I will not abandon the eponymous schola, but obviously I cannot work with them from fifteen hundred miles away, so this will be our swan song.
The church is a different matter.
I shall have to warn Father that I do not know the day nor the hour, but I am not sure I will be any sadder than they. Ms Peters, from the love of OCP to manner may be a better fit for them, anyway.
So I won't be leaving them comfortless...
And mirror, numbers, and Mike on the marble can all be forgotten.
All will make the transition easier.

The choir on the other hand....
That will not be easy.

No comments: