Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Thursday 9 August 2007

Slabs o' red meat

Not being of the sort to worry that what I order to eat in a restaurant will make me "unattractive," I never went through the angst alluded to in this piece.
(And yet..... and yet, and yet, and yet -- I spent an enormous proportion of my nubile years unattached, and furious and curious that it should be so -- "Hey, God, you gave me this desire, why the HECK aren't You putting the satisfaction thereof in my line of sight? What does it MEAN??!?&?#??!" Little did I guess what a treasure He had in store for me... But that is neither here nor elsewhere… It simply is not. It does not exist.)
My only concern in ordering, beside my own preference of the moment, has been cost, and not from the "Don't want him to think I'm extravagant/expensive/high maintenance" standpoint, but only from my own tightwadliness.


Anyway, this piece in the NYTimes was intriguing on several counts.... firstly, glad to see that women are eschewing the pretend-to-prefer-rabbit-food thing, if they don’t' (if they do, shame on them for NOT ordering the tiny salad,) (since waste is worse than deception? exPLAIN yourself, girl!)

Second, how in creation has In'n'Out acquired its reputation in La-La Land when there is..... (reverent silence, please....) FAT BURGERS to be enjoyed? (That place still figures in my most carnal images of Paradise...)
And last but by no means least.... what in BLAZES is this "$60 burger" that anyone can manage to write about without the most extreme opprobrium??!?#?$?!!??%?^?!??*?!???
To reference Han Solo, I have quite an imagination, and I, a cheeseburger aficionado who take second place to NO ONE, can not imagine a thing, worth such a princely sum.
Where are these served and of what do they consist?
I don't think it is just my extreme cheapness speaking, when I wonder what could possibly cause one to drop such an amount of money on a burger.

No comments: