Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 4 August 2014

Ironic, no priest for St John Vianney's memorial....

On the other hand, a stark reminder, as the deacon who took the Communion service this morning said, of our need to storm heaven in our prayers for more vocations, of all sorts, but especially to the priesthood.

And me?
In order that I should take Cardinal Merry del Val's litany more to heart, and that I should truly understand, not just intellectually acknowledge, the fact that one cannot learn to be humble without experiencing humiliation, I, who pride myself on my skill at proclamation, and have assured the sacristan that he can always call on me when a lay reader doesn't show, no notice necessary, stepped into the sanctuary to be greeted by Zedekiah, Hananiah, Azzur, from Gibeon, Jeconiah, son of Jehoiakim, et al.

Who'd'a' thunk "Nebuchadnezzar" would be the least of my problems?
(Actually, the Holy Spirit was with me, I didn't have any problems, but I bet my eyes were big as saucers behind my Dollar Tree readers...)

There seems to be a mistake in the Lectionary.

The deacon had prepared a homily based on Matthew 14, Peter tying to walk on water, but instead it was the loaves and fishes, same as Sunday?
A misprint?
Not sure who the publisher is of the Lectionary they use, but he did some solemn and deliberate page turning, couldn't find that for which he was looking, and just went for it.

Well, as it happens, I had already heard his sermon for the loaves and fishes, and the Holy Spirit was in this as well, because his take on the scripture was practically perfect for the day -- "Jesus ... said the blessing, broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds"

So on the memorial of the Curé of Ars, the patron saint of all priests, whom many, perhaps including himself at times, felt lacking in the "right stuff" to serve Christ's Church as a priest --- on St John Vianney's feast day, we heard about the need for a Church and for the agency of Her ministers if we are to be nourished with the Bread of Life.

God send us holy priests. God send us many holy priests.

No comments: