Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 21 August 2009

I loves me a good analogy...

'Course, I also loves me a loopy analogy.

Not sure which this is, but a commentator at Damian's blog waxes eloquent and verbose with alcoholic beverage and other mood-altering substance metaphors:
As far as the Church is concerned, I think that there was a period of collective drunkenness, starting with the excesses of good wine with V II itself and continuing with the ocean of vodka of “the spirit of V II”. The top (the Vatican) has sobered down relatively fast and in 1978 sobriety was firmly in charge within the conclave, but there was no courage to eradicate bad habits among the generation of guitar-strumming alcoholics who in the meantime had spread all over Catholicism, starting from the bishops.
What I think is happening is that from above (the Vatican) Chianti Classico is slowly being introduced again, but that it will never establish itself as a habit among those who have spent a life amidst bloody marys and alcopops.
Whilst I think that a bigger effort should be done to kick out some of the worst offenders (the South of England being a point in case), I do understand that there is no great desire at the top to start fights when, as a famous drug addict once said, “time is on our side”.
I think there's some kind of cosmic synchronicity in the simultaneous discussion, (amongst those CMAA sots,) of absinthe, and Tullamore Dew, and Dos Equis, don't you?
Shameful, shameful...
I am suddenly a-thirst.

What's an alcopop, is that like shandy? and where can I get some?

No comments: