Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 23 May 2014

Well, yes, I am middle class.... and batty, I suppose

I know Pope Francis' experiences are not my experiences, but I wonder who he's complaining about, sometimes.
We’re afraid of joy. It’s better to think: Yes, yes, God exists, but He is there. Jesus has risen and He is there. Somewhat distant. We’re afraid of being close to Jesus because this gives us joy. And this is why there are so many ‘funeral’ (mournful) Christians, isn’t it? Those whose lives seem to be a perpetual funeral. They prefer sadness to joy. They move about better in the shadows, not in the light of joy, like those animals who only come out at night, not in the light of day, who can’t see anything. Like bats. And with a little sense of humour we can say that there are Christian bats who prefer the shadows to the light of the presence of the Lord.
I know people who ARE sad.
With cause.
The bishop heading up the council of 8 cardinals who advise the Pope, says the Holy Father"
“feels called to construct” a Church that is, among other things: “At the service of this world by being faithful to Christ and his Gospel; free from all mundane spirituality; free from the risk of being concerned about itself, of becoming middle-class,
"Construct a Church?"

Yet elsewhere, the Holy Father says -
If anyone feels offended by my words, I would respond that I speak them with affection and with the best of intentions, quite apart from any personal interest or political ideology. My words are not those of a foe or an opponent. I am interested only in helping those who are in thrall to an individualistic, indifferent and self-centred mentality.
Offended? Who? Who could be offended by anything siad?(oh, except people who say rosaries, people with tragedies int heir lives, people who are middle class, people with faces like pickled peppers... wait, that one could be me, too.

I think I will just go with, English is not the first language, no doubt we read translations of translations, these men must mean something other than the conclusions to which we are jumping, right?

Okay, this is what has really disturbed me - the cardinal also quotes, without naming, anyone "We have to be prepared, since this ..popularity is beginning ... to awaken opposition not only in the old Curia, but in some who are sorry to lose privileges in treatment and in comforts...Expressions like ‘What can it be that this little Argentine pretends?’ or the expression of a well-known cardinal who let slip the phrase, ‘We made a mistake,’ can be heard.”

This is very troubling.
And I am not sure he should have repeated it.

No comments: