Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 26 August 2015

"It's a Boy!"

Call him Emmett.
Image result for planned parenthood "it's a boy"
And call him Daniel, and him Jayden, and her Marisa, and him Benjamin, and Keisha, and Trey, and Moses, Ava, Chloe...

Because names are that important.  How different it is to say, “These are the aborted babies: Daniel, Jayden, Marisa, Benjamin, Keisha, Trey, Moses, Ava, Chloe …” than to say, “Fifty million babies have been aborted.” (It’s actually closer to 60 million. God help us.) Even I, a lifelong ardently pro-life pro-lifer, get lulled into an almost settled unhappiness when faced with the abortion statistics (all numbers, of course) instead of the devastation and horror I should always have when presented with this information. But now, when I think of Emmett? I’m going to think of that one individual baby, and the gruesome specifics of his death, and the injustice and evil of it all.
Names have power. But more than that, being named=being loved and known and wanted, and that sense doesn’t come from nowhere. God tells us, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you” (Jeremiah 1:5)

No comments: