Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 23 April 2008

Questions about the CMAA Colloquium?

Arlene et al have the answers!


Q: I'm a Catholic musician and I should know chant. I know that. I'm embarrassed to say that I can't even read the notation!
A: That's one of the reasons we hold the colloquium. Most participants don't have prior experience in chant notation. We have classes that start at the very beginning. You will not feel intimidated at all. Quite the reverse: people here love to teach and inspire.
Q: Goodness, I don't know how any of this music even goes. I've heard bits and pieces but I will know far less than everyone else.
A: This is a journey for all of us. There is way too much music for people to get to know in their lifetimes. In some way, all of our knowledge is spotty, and we all have to start somewhere. The experts at the Colloquium love nothing more than to teach.
Q: I'm looking at the musical lineup and I can't fathom how I can sing this after just a few rehearsals. Forget it!
A: You won't be asked to sing it all. There are 5 polyphony choirs and 5 chant choirs. We'll divide up the work. Some people will more quickly master this material than others. But there is strength in numbers here. You will be surprised how quickly you will catch on. In any case, one reason for the Colloquium is to stretch what all of us can do.
Q: I know no Latin. I mean none, not even how to pronounce it. Surely this Colloquium isn't for me.
A: Not so! To come and sing requires no prior experience in Latin. The classes work on pronunciation, and you will be surprised at how intuitive it is.
Q: At my parish, we sing what is often called praise music, and I really like it! I don't want to be around anyone who will put down contemporary song.
A: That's not the idea of the colloquium at all. We have a focus and that is the music specifically named in the documents of the Second Vatican Council. The goal is broaden our musical horizons to include music that is actually attached to the Catholic liturgy, and show that it is doable, beautiful, and central.
Q: I love chant. I love polyphony. I love sacred music. But I'm the only one I know. I'm all alone.

A: Actually you are not alone. There are multitudes that share your view, maybe not in your parish but you can learn enough to actually start something wonderful right where you are. It only takes a few singers to make the difference in a parish. You are being called!
Q: But I don't know anyone else who is going.
A: That's okay. Most people arrive not knowing anyone else. Everyone makes an effort to befriend people who come alone. You will not be eating or singing or walking by yourself. Sacred music people are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet.
Q: The music sounds pretty but I'm repelled by serious, frown-faced sophisticates who don't know how to have fun. Isn't Gregorian chant all about being solemn all the time?
A: The liturgy is solemn but the conference itself is fabulous fun, as anyone who has ever attended can tell you. The rehearsals are a blast while being very educational. There are prayerful times and times of hilarity. Through it all, you will make friends for life.
Q: Listen, I would love to come but this conference is outside my budget.
A: Because the CMAA is an all-volunteer organization, we don't have high salaries to pay and a big infrastructure to keep up. This allows us to drive down the price to the lowest possible level. Consider that the price includes tuition, materials, housing, and the best instruction in the world. It's a bargain.
Send us any more of your questions. Programs@musicasacra.com

No comments: