Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 4 April 2008

Small World

The wonders (or perils?) of the Internet!
A certain amount of noise was made on a number of blogs and Internet fora earlier in the week concerning a probable combox appearance of a well known religious song writer.
And now on another blog on which I drop in from time to time, I see a post by a composer (IMO quite fine,) of liturgical music, Fr James Chepponis.
(One odd thing is that I don't read that blog all that often, and by coincidence, I had just finished an online search for the first octavo of his I had ever decided to purchase.)
And of course on the CMAA discussion board, Dr Paul Ford and Fr Anthony Ruff have both dropped in and answered questions.
My point is, the internet has further drawn in the boundaries of the already small world of liturgical music.
And those, like me, in the habit of using hyperbole in our snarking criticism will want to be careful not to make ad hominem attacks on someone not personally known to us, who might be wounded if he happened by. Unintentionally, at any rate --- fire away if you mean to inflict damage, I suppose.
(Oh, and snarky, exaggerated attacks on ideas, actions or pieces of music ,* on the other hand.... well, that seems reasonably fair game.)
............
Amended to include organizations in the list of acceptable targets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for your nice comment about me as a composer ("quite fine.") I appreciate your kindness.

Gratefully,
Fr. Jim Chepponis