Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 8 July 2008

Has the Western World gone mad?

Is there more to this story, or is there really this much stupidity?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1031784/Schoolboys-punished-detention-refusing-kneel-pray-Allah.html

Schoolboys punished with detention for refusing to kneel in class and pray to Allah
By Daily Mail Reporter

04th July 2008

Two schoolboys were given detention after refusing to kneel down and 'pray to Allah' during a religious education lesson.
Parents were outraged that the two boys from year seven (11 to 12-year-olds) were punished for not wanting to take part in the practical demonstration of how Allah is worshipped.
They said forcing their children to take part in the exercise at Alsager High School, near Stoke-on-Trent - which included wearing Muslim headgear - was a breach of their human rights.

One parent, Sharon Luinen, said: "This isn't right, it's taking things too far.
"I understand that they have to learn about other religions. I can live with that but it is taking it a step too far to be punished because they wouldn't join in Muslim prayer.
"Making them pray to Allah, who isn't who they worship, is wrong and what got me is that they were told they were being disrespectful.
"I don't want this to look as if I have a problem with the school because I am generally very happy with it."
Another parent Karen Williams said: "I am absolutely furious my daughter was made to take part in it and I don't find it acceptable.
"I haven't got a problem with them teaching my child other religions and a small amount of information doesn't do any harm.
"But not only did they have to pray, the teacher had gone into the class and made them watch a short film and then said 'we are now going out to pray to Allah'.
"Then two boys got detention and all the other children missed their refreshment break because of the teacher.
"Not only was it forced upon them, my daughter was told off for not doing it right.
"They'd never done it before and they were supposed to do it in another language."
"My child has been forced to pray to Allah in a school lesson." The grandfather of one of the pupils in the class said: "It's absolutely disgusting, there's no other way of putting it.
"My daughter and a lot of other mothers are furious about their children being made to kneel on the floor and pray to Islam. If they didn't do it they were given detention.
"I am not racist, I've been friendly with an Indian for 30 years. I've also been to a Muslim wedding where it was explained to me that alcohol would not be served and I respected that.
"But if Muslims were asked to go to church on Sunday and take Holy Communion there would be war."
Parents said that their children were made to bend down on their knees on prayer mats which the RE teacher had got out of her cupboard and they were also told to wear Islamic headgear during the lesson on Tuesday afternoon.
Deputy headmaster Keith Plant said: "It's difficult to know at the moment whether this was part of the curriculum or not. I am not an RE teacher, I am an English teacher.
"At the moment it is our enterprise week and many of our members of staff are away.
"The particular member of staff you need to speak to isn't around. I think that it is a shame that so many parents have got in touch with the Press before coming to me.
"I have spoken to the teacher and she has articulately given me her version of events, but that is all I can give you at the moment."
A statement from Cheshire County Council on behalf of the school read: "The headteacher David Black contacted this authority immediately complaints were received.
"Enquiries are being made into the circumstances as a matter of urgency and all parents will be informed accordingly.
"Educating children in the beliefs of different faith is part of the diversity curriculum on the basis that knowledge is essential to understanding.
"We accept that such teaching is to be conducted with some sense of sensitivity."


The teacher has been temporarily suspended.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2264139/Teacher-suspended-for-'punishing-children-who-did-not-pray-to-Allah'.html

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

To be fair, at my public school non-Christians, including Jews, sikhs and I believe a muslim or two, were forced (as were we all) to attend Methodist chapel on a regular basis, if I recall aright. They didnt seem to mind. Not noticeably more than the rest of us anyway.

So I imagine this phenonemon may possibly be wheeled out, perhaps in a spirit of vengeance, as a defence of the practice of compelling non-muslims to pray to Allah, allied to that disastrous mode of reasoning which goes: if you can do something questionable to us, then that makes it ok for us (be we muslims or islamically sympathetic non-muslims) to do something questionable to you.

That said, attending chapel was only a commitment of their bodies. They could daydream and disengage from the proceedings as much as they wanted. They weren't stood over and monitored to make sure they were praying or singing with appropriate gusto.

But the larger substance of the difference is that my school was Christian and methodist in its foundation. These pupils knew this when they joined, or at least their parents did.

While the school in question has perhaps departed from that kind of a Christian identification that tended to define British schools in the past, it remains to be asked if Alsager High School is actually now an Islamic school? For if it were then one might expect that non-muslims on the register might be expected to join in the proceedings in the same way our differently faithed pupils were.

But if it is not an Islamic school (I've looked it up, it is not) then what exactly was it up to? Ok, or the teacher at least.

Another question - are dhimmis, like you and me, even allowed to attend Islamic schools such as to be in a position to be compelled to participate (insincerely) in Muslim acts of worship? Wouldn't we need to convert first? Not sure but I'm supposing so.

Scelata said...

"But the larger substance of the difference is that my school was Christian and methodist in its foundation."

I think that's an essential difference (I was confused when you said your "public" school, until I remembered the different usages of the term in the UK and the US.
Some of my (RC) family went to an evangelical school, and of course expected to attend religious services with the rest of their class, (they drew the line at receiving communion, which was fine with the school.)

"Another question - are dhimmis, like you and me, even allowed to attend Islamic schools such as to be in a position to be compelled to participate (insincerely) in Muslim acts of worship? Wouldn't we need to convert first? Not sure but I'm supposing so."

Good questions, I expect you're right.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)