Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Saturday 5 July 2008

Dialogue on Sacred Music, Part the Last

A few last words from the dialogue begun below
(Pt. I) http://scelata.blogspot.com/2008/06/dialoguing-on-catholic-sacred-music.html
(Pt II) http://scelata.blogspot.com/2008/07/dialogue-on-appropriate-liturgical.html
(from other things in the email, I am fairly certain it is at an end, but I also think, or at least hope, that I have genuinely given my correspondent something about which to think, and that THOUGHT WILL ACTUALLY BE GIVEN TO IT.)
Just when I had begun to truly believe that it was impossible I would ever be able to make a difference in the environment, in the position where I am now.... I see the hint of a ripple elsewhere.
(I imagine my correspondent had not heard the tune to the In Paradisum in close to half a century, who knows if that didn't "strike a chord" as well?)

Me, previously:
Emotional involvement with God or our fellows is completely beside the point.
A good analogy might be to sacramental marriage, (which is meant to be a metaphor of God's relationship with us, with His Church.)
The commitment that we make, the Love that is demanded of us by the sacrament is not to always "feel" the emotion we call "love" toward my spouse, (because we won't, we can't,) but to always act in the way to which genuine love will call us, regardless of whether we feel that way, even if the feelings in which we initially took such delight don't last.
The commitment, once made, the decision of the will, is demanded of us regardless, even in spite of whatever emotions we may eventually feel.
I daresay a great many, (if not most,) Christians have suffered some setback or tragedy in life that left them angry with the all-powerful and providential God.
That does not mean we stop loving Him, and fearing Him and worshipping Him.

MC:
I'm beginning to understand your position a little better and maybe we're not as far apart as I thought. A couple things you said struck a cord. [emphasis mine] The analogy with marriage is certainly true; commitment to a spouse is certainly an act of will, not just "feel good" emotions (although "feel good" emotions have a lot to offer), and no marriage is going to last if it's just based on romance alone.
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said: "Feelings are good only when they support actions and thoughts that are good." [emphasis mine] Aren't the actions and thoughts of the liturgy good? Shouldn't good liturgical music inspire ("breathe in" the Spirit) the worshipers to a greater love for and commitment to God?
Sure, the words should be doctrinally correct and no part of the liturgy should be ignored, but if all we do is "state the facts" in a rational manner, (e.g., there is one God, but three persons in the one God), are we helping anyone to live what we believe?
And if we inspire our fellow worshippers, aren't we helping them to worship better and to become holy? "Were you there?" is full of emotion and it's okay as long as we don't ignore the other parts of the Mass.
Great, let's give all the parts of the Mass attention, but incorporate some inspiration into what we sing. It's great if reason takes precedence as long as what we do also touches the heart.
[But] I see your point and I like the reference to "If it feels good, sing it" as a mind frame we shouldn't adopt. [emphasis mine]
I had no idea that the Reproaches and the Propers are prescribed music. You've certainly given me something to think about. [emphasis mine]

No comments: