Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 18 July 2008

The Psalms

Have you noticed how often the psalms have her who prays them worrying about what other people think, or being laughed at? Fair enough. (One of my sins, a big part of my recidivism, my vanity and pride taking the form of worrying that other people will think that I care what other people think of me...)

Let my fate not put to shame those who trust in You, Lord...
Let them not be dismayed on my account, those who seek You, ..
For it is for Your sake that I am taunted and covered in confusion:
I have become a stranger ...
–because zeal for Your house is consuming me,
and the taunts of those who hate You fall upon my head.
...I have made sackcloth my clothing and they make me a byword.T
he idlers at the gates speak against me; for drinkers of wine, I am the butt of their songs.

No comments: