Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 15 July 2008

The "Singers" and the "Musicians..."

Praying the Office of readings, I was struck, not for the first time, by the division in the popular mind, scripturally enshrined, between "singer" and "musician."No, it's not fair, but there you have it.
Voice Major though I was, I have ceased to take umbrage...

Psalm 67 (68)
They have seen your processions, O God,
the processions of God, my king, to his sanctuary.
First came the singers, last the musicians, between them the maidens playing their drums.
“Bless God in the assemblies:
bless the Lord, you who spring from Israel!”

3 comments:

Scott said...

Reminds me of a poster someone put up in my university's School of Music that started out, "Attention Singers and Musicians." One of the milder comments scribbled in the margins was, "Thanks a lot - a singer."

Mary Jane Ballou said...

I often refer to "musicians and regular people." Singers - I'm not sure about them. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by, Scott.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)