Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 20 March 2009

The Times, They Are A-....?

I am not one to... oh, who am I fooling?
I am one to gloat! The Society of St Gregory Forums thread which I referenced in an earlier post?
It yielded up this, written a week and a day ago, which warmed the cockles of my grinchesque heart:
I despair.
But times change and I must accept that.
My parish priest – 11 months older than I – said recently: "We must get used to the idea that we're the sad old gits now".
And we sit back and watch the youngsters with their Graduals and Libers and birettas and incense and lace.
And we sigh and remember the old days when we sang Huijbers and Tamblyn and Barr and music was the servant of the liturgy.
Alas, alas, alas....
Don't mistake me, I want the man who wrote this to be happy.

But even more, I want him to be right. And to come to understand that in this new liturgical world of which he is so needlessly fearful, the music IS "the servant of the liturgy."

No comments: