Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 10 February 2015

The Mother of All....

... vinegars?

I am enthusiastic but ignorant in the kitchen.
Over the holidays i was in charge of Bearnaise for the filet, (faw-faw-faw....)  at one family gathering, and if I do say so myself, I made an excellent sauce, (I use a blender for sauces, I'm too lazy to whisk by hand, and besides - who wants to risk "breaking" food?)
I used a very nice white wine vinegar, (a bit more costly than any ingredients I would spring for under ordinary- read: cooking just for me and Himself- circumstances,) and actual shallots, (merely over-priced, full-of-themselves onion wannabes, IMO.)
Well, here it a month and a half later, and I thought I'd make a variation on the Bearnaise, (a bit of tomato paste added to the standard ingredients,) for chicken, so I pulled the vinegar out of the pantry.

ICK!

There was something on top of the bottle that looked alive, absolutely grotesque, and I gagged, put it aside and grabbed the balsamic.
It all turned out nicely, thank you, but I was curious about that... thing.
I'm glad I didn't throw the vinegar away, apparently "mother" is harmless and a sign that the process of fermentation has been continuing.

The things you learn if you live long enough.....

(It's still an ugly thing to think is still in ones cupboard.)

No comments: