Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 2 November 2009

All Souls

St John Cantius was packed, overflowing really, for the All Souls Mass, Extraordinary Form..
Fr Regis Barwig (sp?) was a stirring homilist.
He had a lovely point about how death is "passing over" not "passing on", and how in this life, music, (referencing the Mozart Requiem sung and played so well,) being the vehicle that helps us "pass over" into the presence of God.
I was there early, (went to Vespers, which reminds me, there was a marvelous hymn, have to look it up in the Hymnal 1940 tmw,) and shortly before Mass began I found myself surrounded by four or five dozen students from Notre Dame. There were also college groups from Wisconsin, and seminarians from Mundelein. Many large families with tiny but wellish behaved children...
So encouraging.
In the year since my brother died, it had somehow never occurred to me before, but as the Barber Adagio for Strings sounded after Mass, (it was played at my Father's funeral when I was a kid,) it struck me that they, he and my Father, were together.
And I though of a very sentimental poem I had heard recited once, where Christ, when He descends to the dead is greeted by one soul -- "How's Your Mother, Son?"
And I wept uncontrollably.

I'm glad I chose to spend the day as I did, I have great hope.

I wondered, would the Canons Regular, or any other Roman Catholic priests, for that matter, be entitled to celebrate the Anglican Use Rite? (probably not the correct terminology...)

Sadly, I am possessed of neither the equipment nor the skills, did not take, and cannot send, photos to TNLM of the black velvet shrouded catafalque and the orange-gold candles...

6 comments:

Mr. C said...

God bless you, G. Beautiful post.
Love from left coast.

Scelata said...

Thank you, sir.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)

RGuadnolo said...

The requiem mass was a wonderful experience, especially the words of Fr. Barwig (we are all falling leaves--some of us will hit the ground sooner than others, but we all will do so). It was also a step into a time capsule that illustrated the magnificence of the Latin liturgy.

Scelata said...

Thank you for stopping by, RGuadnolo.

Do you know what the motets were at communion?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)

Michelle Mitsui said...

Dear G,

I thought that I saw you at Vespers, but I wasn't sure and I was distracted by the baby and getting to rehearsal. I'm sorry Daniel and I missed you, but I'm glad you came and were edified. The communion motets were:

Beati Mortui by Mendelssohn
De Profundis by Ludwig Senfl

Do you remember the title and/or author of that sentimental poem? I am a fan of sentimental things. Hope to catch you next time.

Scelata said...

Thank you, Michelle.
I never knew the title or author because I only heard a short section quoted on one of those "Reflections" on EWTN several years ago, (during the Triduum, IIRC,) about the "harrowing of hell."

Save the Liturgy, Save the World)