Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Saturday 21 November 2009

How Should Catholics Market Catholicism?

Jeffry Tucker has an interesting article on the topic.

Me?
I have wondered almost since I was a child, before I knew the word "relativism," at the paths taken.

The One, True, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church? Those guys, what do they have to offer? Yes, Truth, yes, salvation.

But relative to the world, even relative to other attempts at Christianity?

Well, there's unbroken succession from him to whom was given the keys of the kingdom, genuine universality, a way of discerning and then codifying what that Truth means for humanity in practical terms that has stood the test of time. The sacraments, but above all,

The Real Presence of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe, Whole and Entire, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Most Blessed Sacrament of the Altar.


And of late has She been proclaiming that?
Or has She taken bad advice from Her marketing experts, er..... I mean, ecumenists.

Would Tiffany's try to market diamonds by serving hotdogs, providing banjo-pickin' for your listenin' pleasure and giving away promotional T-shirts?

Would Don Draper have come up with this slogan?
http://mediumcrazy.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/don-draper.jpg

"Catholicism.
Hey, you guys, it's just like everything else."

4 comments:

Mr. C said...

G, looks like you and Wendy have one more, ah, thing in common.
Great article about "Mad Men" in current "Atlantic Monthly."
Difficult show for me to watch, though.

Anonymous said...

Nah, to... what I think you're implying.

But he IS an advertising genius, (or idiot savant, since he seems to be able to know exactly what everyone wants, except people with whom he has actual relationships.) Why doesn't the Church put someone like him in charge of oecumenical relations?

Himself is the one really addicted to the show -- he "remembers," ...well, it's a constant -- My mom had that dress! That's Aunt Madge's kitchen! I wanted that car when I was a kid!Bobby's pajamas look just like mine!

Mr. C said...

All the hyprocracy and familial dysfunction's pretty much all that I remember from the era, hence I'm not keen on glorifying the era. The film RESERVATION ROAD, I thought, zeroed in on the existential Bravo Sierra of the Baby Boomer/Eisenhower/Kennedy zeitgeist.
BTW, I wasn't implying anything untoward. Apparently the guy's a great actor.

Anonymous said...

"I'm not keen on glorifying the era."

Well then this show ought to be right up your alley -- it casts an absolute skunk eye over the time period.

Didn't see Revolutionary Road, Himself saw it and sank into a perfect slough of despond for three days afterward, so I figured I'd wait until it was free at the library.