Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 24 April 2015

Holy Worm Food

Besides Friday in the third week of Eastertide, today is the feast day of the martyr Fidelis of Sigmaringen, a Capuchin father. It is said that when he realized that his death at the hands of "reformers" was inevitable the knowledge cheered him, and he began signing his letters, "Father Fidelis, in days ahead to become food for worms."
Pfärrenbach Wandmalerei Fidelis von Sigmaringen.jpg
Much talk of martyrdom nowadays, is there not?
I am an utter physical coward, if I were ever tested I should prove less than unworthy, I would apostasize at the merest threat of pain, I know I would.
Where do people find such courage?
Obviously, from God, it is grace from Him, a share in His omnipotent Love, that is to say, a share in His very Self.

No comments: