Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 19 January 2015

I Feel Bad for Her, I Really Do....

She seems like a nice lady.

And it's terrible that commentators purporting to be be good Catholics were mean to Margery Eagan.

But, seriously.

Her emotional equilibrium is... well, fragile, if not severely damaged, if learning that the Pope is Catholic was "devastating" to her.

I, on the other hand, made of sterner stuff, am not devastated, but I am a little miffed -- by her.
The news that Pope Francis has strongly defended the Church’s ban on artificial birth control left me, in a word, devastated.
I had hoped for so much more from this man.
Although he has not lived it himself, I had thought he understood something about good people living real lives in real marriages. I had thought he even understood something about the beauty of sex in marriage, the need for sex in marriage.
Huh? am I a bad person? is my life fake? am I not in a real marriage? do I somehow not understand my own situation?

Would she think that she could discern from my rejection of artificial birth control that I am ignorant or uncomprehending of the beauty of sex, its sheer mind-blowing glory?

No comments: