Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 23 January 2015

Non-Catholic Rundown in Need of New Headline Writer

Why, why, why do the secular and non-Catholic press have trouble with this sort of thing?

Non Catholic Rundown has yet another story about a woman who wants to call herself a Catholic priest, (and they wish to indulge her in that desire,) in that Humpty-Dumpty way of pretending that words can mean whatever they want them to mean.

Firstly, I, as the new Managing Editor of NCR take issue with the headline that says this poor woman is "Kansas City's first woman priest" as she is either waaaay behind any number of Episcopalians in KC, (and how unecumencial, how cruel of the headline writer to insult our separated brethren and sistren in this way! remind me to fire him or her next time I go to work,) or, and this is my take on it, NOT A PRIEST AT ALL.

But even if she were a Catholic priest, would we want a shepherd so woefully ignorant of liturgical theology and the precepts of the Church?
Or, perhaps it is the WRITER who is woefully ignorant of liturgical theology and the precepts of the Church... (remind me to fire Dawn Cherie Araujo next time I go in to work.)
Walker says she plans to continue attending Mass at her parish church, St. James, though she will not be taking part in any liturgy.
"I'm not going to take Communion," she told NCR. "I won't in any way compromise the parish, but I attend to still be part of the community and go there for worship on Sunday."
Not taking part in the liturgy? Not taking part?
Have you no clear idea of what participation is?

One does not need to be prancing about to be taking part in the Liturgy.
One does not need to be in the sanctuary to be taking part in the Liturgy.
One does not need to be making any noise to be taking part in the Liturgy.

 (And I say that as a prancing, sanctuary-entering, noisemaker.)

And - hold on to your wigs and keys, Granny - one does not need to receive Communion to be taking part in the Liturgy.

(And I say that as an occasional Communion abstainer.)

Unless this poor lady pops a few sleeping pills and deliberately sleeps through the liturgy, or sticks her fingers in her ears for an hour muttering I can't HEAR you, la la la la! and closes her eyes and thinks of England.... she participates with her presence, her mindful presence.

No comments: