Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 19 January 2015

"Keep Social Security Solvent, But Don't Go At It Like Rabbits"

No, no, no one said that.
Exactly.
That just seems to be the gist of the answer to one question directed at Pope Francis on the plane ride home to the Vatican.
(I'll admit, I read quotes purporting to be from the Holy Father sometimes and am not sure whether I'll find CNA, Reuters, the Onion or Eccles if I follow the link.)
I think the number of three children per family that you mentioned – it makes me suffer- I think it is the number experts say is important to keep the population going. Three per couple. When this decreases, the other extreme happens, like what is happening in Italy. I have heard, I do not know if it is true, that in 2024 there will be no money to pay pensioners because of the fall in population. Therefore, the key word, to give you an answer, and the one the Church uses all the time, and I do too, is responsible parenthood. How do we do this? With dialogue. Each person with his pastor seeks how to do carry out a responsible parenthood.
That example I mentioned shortly before about that woman who was expecting her eighth child and already had seven who were born with caesareans. That is a an irresponsibility That woman might say 'no, I trust in God.’ But, look, God gives you means to be responsible. Some think that -- excuse the language -- that in order to be good Catholics, we have to be like rabbits. No. Responsible parenthood. This is clear and that is why in the Church there are marriage groups, there are experts in this matter, there are pastors, one can search; and I know so many ways that are licit and that have helped this. You did well to ask me this.
So, that's where responsibility lies? in replacement fertility?

The Pope is saying it is irresponsible for a particular woman to have more children?

No comments: