Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 19 September 2014

I am heartsick -- and in need of Sacramenty Goodness

Apparently, the news is true, the great and good Raymond Cardinal Burke is to be kicked to the curb  upstairs to a purely ceremonial post.

Does this portend an outrageous change to canon law, and, in fact, to sacramental doctrine which he would not countenance?
I don't know what to think.
But I know what to pray.

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of curial appointments and demotions, but this is unfathomable to me as anything but a repudiation of Cdl Burke's strong stance on the side of merciful justice.

I am heartsick.

I am trying to wrap my head around what this seems to portend for the coming Synod.
Will Cdl Kasper's careless reasoning win the day?

Before Himself was Catholic, (and even perhaps for a time after,)  i often asked, do you understand what is happening? do you want me to explain anything? here, would  you like this book to follw along in?

And his answer was very often, no, no, I don't need to "get" everything, I'm just going to sit here and let the sacramenty goodness wash over me.

Sacramenty Goodness. (It's graceriffic.)

Cdl Kasper's idea, judging from his address at the consistory, seems to be that  if you
"repents of [your] failure to fulfill what [you] promised before God, [your] partner and the church in the first marriage, and carries out as well as possible his new duties [note, nothing about any "old" duties you still owe,] a time of new orientation and stabilization" 
... the new marriage shouldn't keep you away from Communion.

Got that? You can partake of other sacraments after the sacramenty goodness of the first marriage... I dunno, wears off?

No comments: