Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 31 March 2015

Deck thyself, my soul, with gladness....

... and deck the high altar with lilies!

This is a marvelous little video from St John Cantius in Chicago, (h/t Fr Z.)

I waxed most nostalgic, (pain from an old wound?)

The sight of a step-ladder in the sanctuary of that remarkable parish will always remind me of my first visit there.
Just stopped in to "pay a visit," as our mothers used to say, in an empty, (of other purely human persons,) marvelled at the beauty of the place, and was startled in mid-prayer to see a young man in a cassock bearing a longish step-ladder enter the sanctuary to replenish the oil reservoir or replace the candle, (I was too far back in the nave to know which,) in the tabernacle lamps.
After he finished with one, he crossed to the other, and still carrying the step-ladder, as he crossed the "axis", genuflected before Our Lord Jesus Christ, fully present, Bod and Blood, Soul and Divinity, in the Blessed Sacrament within the tabernacle.

And that was when I knew what a special refuge Fr Phillips had established there...

No comments: