Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 27 March 2015

Disturbing

I was looking for an image for devotion.
St John Cantius in Chicago has a stunning, almost life-sized statue of  a seated Man of Sorrows.
It never failed to move me when I saw it.
Although for religious, devotional, liturgical art I prefer some degree of realism, I have a fairly broad acceptance of genres and styles.
I was looking for a Man of Sorrows, mabe to use on my desktop while reading the office?

But I came across this, an Ensor monstrosity.

Where is the beauty? what is the point? the artist, about whom I know very little, seems filled with hate.
Am I a philistine that I can see no redeeming value in this? I feel as if I need a shower after seeing it.

(AFTER A BIT OF THOUGHT
I DECIDED LINKING TO THE
UGLINESS WAS QUITE
ENOUGH, I SHOULD NOT
SULLY THE INTERWEBS
WITH ANOTHER ITERATION
OF THE IMAGE ITSELF)

No comments: