Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Thursday 4 October 2007

Choir Rehearsal

Fabulous tonight.
Big turnout.
Iced homemade brownies.
New Gospel Acclamation setting (I am working with an eye toward never again doing the Mass of Pope Pourri... consistency in the choice of Ordinary parts. If only I could find more of the John Lee Congregational Mass.) Went well.
Psalm to a Gregorian tone.
More work on the Monteverdi Laudate Dominum, Omnes Gentes, finally enough people that it's starting to sound like something.
How Can I Keep From Singing? sounding very sturdy (there's a place for these authentic, American hymns and harmonies.)
O Lord the Giver of All Life (it's Respect Life Sunday this week...)
Only the second time to work on the Palestrina Jesu, Rex Admirabilis --- I wouldn't be abashed if we needed to sing it in public right now. (Although I am quite abashed at the beautiful copies I made with the title misspelled -- oh well, you can't have everything, and if ya did, where'd ya put it?
Zdravas Bud sounded fine (a couple new members this year who don't already know it in their sleep...)
The Deiss piece, the English paraphrase of the ad libitum communio set to a nice working of ST THOMAS (I've never used that old trick before, of putting the altos on the melody and having the sopranos sing the alto line up an octave as a descant,) and All Hail the Power of Jesus Name to CORONATION, probably use that for Christ the King. I was surprised that so few new that tune.
Anyway, good rehearsal, really good.

Wow. When I look at it all laid out like that -- we accomplished a great deal!
Bravi, choristers!

No comments: