Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 9 October 2007

From Approbation to Opprobrium

I want to withdraw my recommendation of the fashion blog I wrote about, wherein "Frighteningly Ugly" outfit, items and persons are fisked.
Since I began reading it it has gone from amusingly deploring the deplorable, to snarky nit-pickery.
It also promotes the truly damaging that like Goldilocks, we can, and should achieve something just right, and if you don't achieve it, you're just wrong.... and that it all matters.
There is no place for not caring, or not caring sometimes; and there are growing numbers of posts the gist of which are "I can't put my finger on it, but this just doesn't work," or "I want to like it but..."
But what? It's not perfect?
(Oh, I'll still read it from time to time, it can still be hilariously funny, but it will be an even more guilty pleasure than before, far too much of it, to sound like a middle school girl is "mean.")

No comments: