Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Thursday 18 October 2007

The Emperor Has No Dinner

Yes, it's ultimately a paean to the designer she is prepared to skewer, but lawdie! this is a sentence encapsulating what is wrong with so much of modern life, the sheer, useless pretentiousness of it:
The clothes looked unwearable in the way that the food of ingenious chefs becomes perversely inedible: fiendish experiments wrought in strawberry-dill fish foam and raw poultry.
I don't recognize the byline: Cintra Wilson
(But she's made me want to see the clothes, she's intrigued me.)
Now, if someone would just do the same for Art.
Shaw, IIRC, did it a century ago for music, although I don't know that Wagner was the appropriate target: His music is better than it sounds.
I had a friend in high school who, though he agreed with me that some currently popular singer had no talent, insisted that he was a genius.
Instead of being amused by his paradoxical bon mot, his eyes opened as if he were having a vision, and had discovered a Profound Truth. He's a musical genius with no talent.

No comments: