Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 12 October 2007

A Kinda Sorta White List

This is courtesy of BMP at Christus Vincit, and it is actually "stuff" he actually programs or "wouldn't mind" programming.
Not exactly fulsome praise.
Also, not having a copy of his resource, Today's Missal, at hand, I am only taken an (un-)educated guess as to what is contemporary, and leaving off selections on his list that I know or believe to be of older origin.
And, need I add that this editorial content is presented as a public service and in no way reflects the opinion of management? (Not a criticism of anything on Brian's list, merely a reminder that I simply want to produce evidence that serious musicians are not dead-set against anything but "old stuff," neither endorse nor critique their choices -- I imagine there's plenty on his list I would not care for, and plenty on mine he doesn't feel would make the grade, be "Worthy of the Temple.")
(In fact I need to admit right now that, not being my own mistress, I CURRENTLY program "stuff" that I WOULD mind introducing in the future.)

35 Christ, Circle 'Round Us (The "O" Antiphons, set by Schutte to a metrical adaptation of Salve Regina - not bad at all)
106 Remember Your Love (Kreutz) /
29 Patience, People (a rare Foley gem)
74 O Christ, the Sun of Light and Grace?
103 Led by the Spirit of Our God
107 Behold, before Our Wondering Eyes (I'm normally not a big fan of Berberick, though she's a fellow RI'er, but this is by far her best piece - actually really good!)1
08 From the Depths We Cry to Thee
145 Bright as the Sun, Fair As the Moon
150 Dona Nobis Pacem [Scelata's question: is that the grade school round, or something else?

2 comments:

Brian Michael Page said...

It is the round (Dona Nobis Pacem). I don't think I'd program it with a cantor-only or senior choir Mass. With a junior choir I would. Hey, at least they have "some" Latin under their belt (albeit three words), and it's got to be a hell of a lot better than anything by Christopher Walker or Carey Landry (or Haugen/Haas for that matter).
BMP

Anonymous said...

No argument, sir!

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)