Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 24 October 2007

Reflecting up....

I was worried about having time to do a show this fall, any show, between church, the Scelati, kitchenage, the adult Festival Chorus and the trip for Chriso' b'day.
But my time has turned out not to be the issue.
Other peoples' time, well....
I admit to a certain level of disappointment in the theatrical production so far.
I hope this is not a result of unreasonable expectations, from the depth of attachment that Himself and I feel for the show itself. (How could it not be dear to us? we met doing it, some enchanted morning, across a crowded dance studio slash rehearsal hall, and somehow we knew, we knew even then.... That's enough, shut up!)
It's not that I expect anyone to be better, I'm fairly certain I have not brought professional expectations to an amateur situation (and Himself is over that, he used to be amazed at attendance at rehrasals, "Wahddya MEAN ya hadda work!??!?#?$??) it's that I would hope they would put more obvious effort into what they are doing.
And no, no one need appear to be "trying," I'm not one of those philistines who sees difficulty as a gauge of quality, (my question to fanboys who take umbrage at my lack of admiration with the cliche, "well, could YOU do it?" has always been, "Have you ever heard of either M Mangetout, or M LePetomaine?) who thinks you need to see people sweat to know that they are working (Himself worked with a singer once who deliberately liked to be wet, would spritz himself with water, because he believed "the audience likes to know you're working hard." I am not making this up.)
And no, I am not the producer, my perceptions aren't really material, no one needs to show me anything.
But it just seems to me politic, if you're not doing something well, to at least pretend to be trying to improve.
(Br. Gabriel, after telling me the story that Pope Paul the VI, upon being asked how many people worked at the Vatican, is said to have replied, ... about half; said he learned at the vatican to always carry a sheaf of papers around, so that even if you were just jazzing about where to try for a good plate of putanesca that afternoon, you would look busy.)
I've never felt this way about one of their shows, and we have had some major crises, (burst appendix the day before opening, changing which musical halfway into the rehearsal process, incapable-of-learning-lines leads....)
And I don't think I've ever felt this unprepared since my slap-this-puppy-up-on-stage-with-a-week's-rehearsal professional dinner theater days. (And strangely, despite my own shameful work ethic, and tendency to wait till the last minute to get off book, it's not my personal fault, I cannot learn a dance that hasn't been choreographed yet....)
And the awful thing is -- it could be so good, crew and cast has the potential to be terrific, and terrifically crowd-pleasing.
Well, who knows, a week and a half from now we may all be preening....
I'm also not thrilled about what is happening with publicity. I only suggested contacting the the "Visitor" because I thought the quirk of our "meeting cute" (as screenwriters used to say,) would, because it was of interest to their readers, be attendance-boosting advertising.
Non-Catholic actor and Catholic actress meet playing priest and nun, he begins joining her at mass to do field research, the more he learns about the Faith, the more he is drawn to it,they fall in love and marry, and he converts.... and now, years later, they are playing the same roles.
It's moderately interesting, no?
To put it off until spring as part of a larger conversion defeats my purpose. I emphatically do NOT like to talk about my personal life, have always hated that aspect of publicity (I felt the same way about articles about the surgery, only did it because of the greater good of publicizing the procedure.... I guess I can think of the conversion story the same way.)

No comments: