Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 8 October 2007

What would you take?

I was creeped by this thread on Fr Z's blog.
The premise was,
If you had to leave where you are in, say, 12 hours, what, realistically,would you take? (only what you can carry , and "they" are coming for you, with ID checks, block by block.)
I guess it shouldn't really be surprising that there was a healthy representation by people I would consider survivalists.
And people with multiple firearms.
Me? Don't know. Complete coward. & much attached to things.
Now, natural disasters, with family virtually all over to whom to escape, cash and a half dozen or fewer irreplaceables -- my Dad's Liber, my Mom's pearls (that my father, who didn't even know her at the time brought back from his war service in the Pacific theater,) my rings (that I do not, cannot wear,) those Boosey and Hawkes Irish Songs collected at such effort, the crucifix that hangs over the entrance to the house, (not heavy,)
But depending on why "they were coming for me"... well, would I want to abandon "identifiers"?
Would I flee? or stand and be a martyr? head for the hills? try to blend in?
Hard to say.
In a fire, the pearls and the Liber.

No comments: