Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 22 October 2007

Christmas Planning

It is a little late not to have more of the musical planning in place than I have, but there it is.
I am a sluggard.
I think I will do a simpler Mass, making it more possible for young instrumentalists to take part (also giving me an excuse for blowing off the Massive Cremation... which in all honesty is the most "known" setting to the once a year Catholics, and thus most likely to have decent congregational singing.)
In Splendoribus, the choir sings, but it's not in their hearts yet, so I am hesitating, I still haven't decided if I should try to also introduce another proper.
I think the piece of "art" music we will attempt for the first time this year is the "Shepherd's Farewell" from L'Enfance du Christ. Looking it over, the Berlioz seems easier than I remember.
And a few new carols -- Bring a Torch, Wexford Carol, Lullay My Liking.... not sure exactly.
And again, with the not-too-advanced instrumentalists in mind, What Star is This? and one other, can't find the right one. You know the drill, stepwise motion, limited range, few accidentals....
And preferably one the congregation wouldn't know too well and expect to sing on, since tempo might be iffy
Suggestions? Maybe the Huron Carol, but I'd rather something I haven't done in some other form ('Twas in the Moon of Wintertime was a big favorite with the Scelati last year. Their concert program is just about set. NB is going to rock on Tu Scendi.... what a great kid he is!)

No comments: