Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 12 May 2009

Holding Grudges and Keeping Score

One of, if not THE worst traits of mine, is my hanging on to resentment.

It's a good thing my memory isn't better than it is, or I would never forget a slight, an injury, or even a minor and inadvertent thwarting of my preferences.

Last night, hanging out, and luxuriating in the fact that neither Himself nor I had any obligations for almost 48 hours, he was making DVDS in the basement, and I was finishing up some paper-work and switching channels between Letterman, and Colbert -- he came upstairs as Letterman's monologue finished, I switched channels and put the remote down, thus, apparently, signaling my intention not to go back to CBS.

"You're still mad at Tom Hanks, huh?"

I hadn't even really consciously thought about it, but he was right -- Hanks was Dave's first guest, and that was why I wasn't going to turn Letterman back on.
And I like Tom Hanks, think he's an okay actor and an engaging talk show guest.

Silly of me, huh?
Of course, I was already nursing some resentment of Hanks, I think he has the Oscar that rightfully belongs to Anthony Hopkins for Remains of the Day....

But really, am I irrational, or what?

No comments: