Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 21 September 2015

I'm a bigot, I guess

Perhaps I am a bigot.
It is not a violation of the constitution for me to be so, (regardless of how often that august document is cited in condemnation of some bigot.)
But just as I could see myself not advocating someone on the basis of my religious beliefs, it is possible that I could see myself not advocating someone on the basis of his religious beliefs.

A muslim? I am not sure.

But I would not advocate that we put, say, a Scientologist in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that.

And I would certainly not advocate that we put a Young Earth Creationist in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that.

And I would not advocate that we put an ethical vegetarian in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that.

And I would not advocate that we put a Raelian in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that.

And I would not advocate that we put an unconditional pacifist in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that.

And I would not advocate that we put an Orthodox Jew in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that. (You know,the presidency's kind of a 24/7 commitment, the whole Sabbat thing could be troubling.)

And I would not advocate that we put an Amish in charge of this -- well, wait. Assuming an Amish person were to run, I could, perhaps, be persuaded.

(And as a final note, "advocate" and "accept"? They don't mean the same thing, guys.)

No comments: