Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 25 September 2015

So We're Watching Some Guy Pontificating...

No, I'm not being disrespectful to His Holiness.

The TV is on one the 24/7 infotainment channels, (I can't dignify them by callings them purveyors of news anymore, because even though they present some of that from time to time, that sure as hellenization isn't what's on them most of the 24/7,) and some talking head is, er, talking, (name changed to protect the inane,) and Himself says, I didn't know that.
I haven't been listening, so he fills me in.
Commentator has just said, apparently, well that's just a discipline, so Pope Francis can change it is he want, there could be women priests.
(So, yeah, you can tell from said commentator knowing the term, "discipline," he's at least Catholish, if not Catholic.)
That's not right.
Are you sure?
Yeah, it's wrong. Celibacy is just a discipline, you know, a practice that can be changed, but reserving the priesthood to men is'nt like that.
He said it wasn't a dogma, so it could be changed -- he's wrong?
No, I think he's right about it about it not being dogmatic, I think it is what is called "doctrinal."
Oh....
I'm thinking, great, now I gotta go lookup stuff, I'm going to have to point him toward something like this, or this, or this, but he goes on,
I didn't know that, but now that I do, (I am touched by his trust in me,) why doesn't he just shut up? why the heck do people like him keep bringing it up, and going on and on about it? It's settled, they should just stop. It's very misleading for them to do that.
Um... yeah.
Although the teaching that priestly ordination is to be reserved to men alone has been preserved by the constant and universal Tradition of the Church and firmly taught by the Magisterium in its more recent documents, at the present time in some places it is nonetheless considered still open to debate, or the Church's judgment that women are not to be admitted to ordination is considered to have a merely disciplinary force.
Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren, I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful.

No comments: