Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Saturday 17 October 2015

Breaking News: The Church and Her New Sacrament

We're "doing" sacraments in Sunday school, and last week we looked at the concepts of form, matter and intention.
And we also spoke a bit of how these "delivery systems" for Grace are given us by the Lord, administered by His Bride, many in very specific actins taken by and words spoken by Christ.

Now it seems that there is to be a new one, that She somehow missed for nearly two millenia. The form and the matter aren't settled on yet, and they are having trouble with the name, but it will be replacing Reconciliaiotn/Penance/Confession for the most part, (people seemed to hate the traditional names of that one anyway.)
I'm suggesting, "OhYouDid?Really?WellNeverMindGodDoesn'tCareWhatYouDoAsLongAsYouFeelOkayWithIt."

I know, I know, a little long, a little unwieldy, it needs work, but it's a starting point at least.

You remember the parable, right?
Then Jesus said, A man had two sons, and the younger son said to his father, "Father, you're taking a way long time dying, give me my share of your estate now."
So the father divided the property between them. After a few days, the younger son collected all his belongings and set off to a distant country where he squandered his inheritance on a life of dissipation. When he had freely spent everything, a severe famine struck that country, and he found himself in dire need.
Coming to his senses he thought, "How many of my father’s hired workers have more than enough food to eat, but here am I, dying from hunger."
I know! I shall shoot an email to my father and I shall say to him, “Father, I was having a great time until I ran out of cash.
"I still don't want to act like your son and do as I'm told; could ya just treat me as a guest who comes and goes as he pleases. So for now, could you just send one of those reloadable debit cards?"
Since he was still a long way off, his father was filled with compassion and ran to his son in the distant land, embraced him and kissed him.
His son said to him, "Thanks, gotta run, a renewed life of dissapation awaits, I mean, I have to see a guy about something, sorry I don't have time to catch up with what's going on with you guys... Oh, but let me know next time you're having fatted calf, 'kay? I'll see if I can make it."
So the Father walked home, just fine with any crumbs of attention the kid gave him, and glad that he hadn't turned his younger sons room into a media a room like the older son wanted, "because this son of mine was dead, and has come to life again; he was lost, and has been found. So hopefully he'll drop in from time to time."
Snarky, I know. But I say this as an acknowledged and repentant older son - I know the graver sin, the point of the story, (notice that in the real one, it doesn't end with the younger's penitance,) is how much worse is one son's failure to welcome the other home.
But we must see that the younger son, although the Father watches for him faithfully, has to make the move to come home, he has to be willing to change before the Father sees him, "a long way off...."
Where are we as a Church going, what am I to do if  taught, (and I in turn teach,) that amendment of life is not necessary? That there is no need for contrition, because sin is not sin? all actions are equally good, there is no moral weight to them for good or for ill.
Maybe that's the problem, we don't need a new sacrament, we need a new set of commandments.

Is sin sin? is there such a thing as sin? is anyone guilty of it?

You know, because not just since Moses, but since Jesus, the morality of some behaviors has just changed.

So some things that used to be sins aren't any more. And some things that used to be okay are now sins, I would imagine.

Saul was a sucker. He didn't need to become Paul, whihc was a pretty rough life. He didn't even need to stop what he was doing, because he no doubt came to a decision to stone Stephen in good conscience, and the Apostles should have helped him move forward and to respect that. Heck, if Stephen hadn't been, um... dead, he probably should have accompanied him!
Whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord. A person should examine himself, and so eat the bread and drink the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself.
Was St Paul blowin' smoke?

No comments: