Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Thursday 29 October 2015

"I've been in a far land, a-tending the pigs, home again, home again....

... jiggety jig."
That would scan all right, wouldn't it?
Perhaps to the point of annoyance, I. - no, wait, definitely past the point where I am annoying -- after a long day or a road trip, when I come through the door I quote an old nursery rhyme to Himself-
I went to the market to buy a fat pig!   
Home again, Home again Jiggety Jig!
I went to the market to buy a fat hog!
Home again, home again Jiggety jog!

I wish I'd thought of it, to incorporate it into the story of The Prodigal Son and the Self-righteous Son when we acted it out in Sunday school.
Anyway, it made me giggle when I read this of Fr Longenecker's:
Now this is the main problem with much of the talk of mercy in the church today. They are talking about mercy without first diagnosing sin. They are talking about mercy without acknowledging the need for repentance. They are talking about mercy without a rejection of sin. They are welcoming the prodigal along with his pigs.  [emphasis added]

No comments: