Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Saturday 17 October 2015

If Conscience is the Final Arbiter of Reception of Sacraments...

I'm sorry, I know I should let this go, but I cannot see logically how the ramifications of such thought leave the faithful with any surety regarding anything.

If, when people "come to a decision in good conscience” the Church’s job is to “help them move forward and to respect that,” will that apply to other sacraments than the Eucharist?
If in good conscience I decide to marry even when there is a previous marriage, putatively valid, with a still living spouse, who perhaps still feels bound to me, (which decision many people seemingly make,) should the Church "respect that", and allow me to marry in the Church?

There are many people who believe they must be ordained with whom the Church has, up to now, disagreed, (and this is not limited to women.)

If they came to the decision thoughtfully, in good conscience, are we to "help them move forward?"

Conscience being inviolable, and all....

How many indissoluble marriages can one have before the Church need no longer allow the individual's conscience to be the guide?

Does being genuinely sad, (not about any possible sin, but at being denied the sacrament,) add some weight to the moral argument of the one presenting for a sacrament?

No comments: