Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 20 June 2014

Breadmakers are not "frugal," are they?

I am the cheapest person you know, a complete skinflint, so I read things like The Tightwad Gazette, and Tip Hero in my quest for frugality.
In one story on the latter, I read, "A $9 bread machine from Goodwill has saved literally hundreds on baked goods alone."

But while a bread maker is a wonderful, time-saving, or fill-your-house-with-homey-aromas thing, (and $9 for one you like is a great find,) I do not buy that it is any kind of money savor -- even buying supplies in the greatest bulk I reasonably can (five pound bag of yeast at GFS, anyone?) unless my math is very bad, (possible,) I can always find bread on sale cheaper than I can make it.

I suppose if you compare it to bakery or gourmet shop bread...

That said, good reasons to make your own bread include the shortest time interval possible, between being assailed by that wondrous yeasty fragrance and actually stuffing some of that goodness in your mouth; and making it with exactly the ingredients you want, and none of those you don't.

Do you know how hard it is to find a multi-grain loaf with no corn? (I admit, I really, really, REALLY miss Anadama bread, but allergies is allergies. I've been meaning to try to achieve a reasonable facsimile with millet, or something.)

No comments: